Our goal is to protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
Priority Care Lactation is staffed by lactation consultants who are board certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. Our group of lactation consultants has over 40 years of combined experience working with mothers and their babies. We would love the opportunity to work with all of our breastfeeding families.
Lactation visits are available by appointment regardless of whether your baby is a patient at our office or not. Priority Care Lactation offers appointments both in our office and in your home. Home visits allow you to be more comfortable in your own environment and take away the stress of having to pack your newborn and all the associated supplies and make it to the office at a specified time. You can expect your first lactation visit to take longer than an average visit. You are welcome to have your partner, a close family member or a friend with you during your visit, and they are also welcome to ask questions. For the greatest benefit from the time spent devoted to you and your baby, we recommend keeping the number of people at our meeting to one or two.
Lactation support groups are canceled until further notice.
Since our goal is a personal consultation that meets your individual needs, no two visits will be exactly the same. In general, you can expect:
- Time to share your pregnancy and birth experience
- Time to discuss your personal goals and hopes for breastfeeding
- Discussion of your breastfeeding history
- Discussion of your baby’s medical history (including family history)
- Assessment of your baby
- Assessment of your breasts and nipples for any areas of concern
- Time to describe any challenges you are experiencing
- Observation of a feeding (please do not feed just before the visit)
- Discussion of different nursing positions to find ones which are most comfortable and natural for you and your baby
- Time to discuss any questions you might have
At the end of the visit, you will have a breastfeeding management plan we have designed together to meet your own needs and a clear expectation for follow-up care from the lactation consultant. The consultant will have written documentation of her assessment and written information specific to your situation and needs. A letter describing the care plan we develop will also be sent to your child’s health care provider.
We will file your visit to the insurance company provided. We are able to accept most insurance plans. Our billing department is currently contacting every insurance plan prior to the visit to verify coverage. The lactation consultant will have products available to purchase, which can aid in breastfeeding your baby.
What information do we need to make an appointment:
- Baby’s name and date of birth
- Mom’s name and date of birth
- Address and phone numbers
- Any insurance plans (including dad’s, mom’s or baby’s)
- Email address
- Credit card number to hold appointment (if it is a home visit)
Our expectations of you:
- Please notify us within 3 hours of the visit if you must cancel your appointment. There may be a fee if not cancelled in time
- We ask that no one smoke when we visit your home
- Indoor pets are to be confined outside of the patient care area for the duration of the visit
- Due to bad weather or other extenuating circumstances, we may need to reschedule. If so, we will inform you ASAP
Our phone lines are open at 8:30am Monday through Saturday until the close of business that day.
9405 N. Oak Trafficway
Kansas City, MO 64155