Lactation Support Group
Our goal is to protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
Priority Care Lactation is staffed by lactation consultants who are board certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. Our group of lactation consultants has over 40 years of combined experience working with mothers and their babies. We would love the opportunity to work with all of our breastfeeding families.
Learn more about our Lactation Support Staff and our service.
Lactation support groups are now available at our North Oak location only.
Appointments are available the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month.
Please call us at 816-412-2900 to schedule an appointment with one of our lactation consultants.
Since our goal is a personal consultation that meets your individual needs, no two visits will be exactly the same. In general, you can expect:
- Time to share your pregnancy and birth experience
- Time to discuss your personal goals and hopes for breastfeeding
- Discussion of your breastfeeding history
- Discussion of your baby’s medical history (including family history)
- Assessment of your baby
- Assessment of your breasts and nipples for any areas of concern
- Time to describe any challenges you are experiencing
- Observation of a feeding (please do not feed just before the visit)
- Discussion of different nursing positions to find ones which are most comfortable and natural for you and your baby
- Time to discuss any questions you might have
At the end of the visit, you will have a breastfeeding management plan we have designed together to meet your own needs and a clear expectation for follow-up care from the lactation consultant. The consultant will have written documentation of her assessment and written information specific to your situation and needs. A letter describing the care plan we develop will also be sent to your child’s health care provider.
We will file your visit to the insurance company provided. We are able to accept most insurance plans. Our billing department is currently contacting every insurance plan prior to the visit to verify coverage. The lactation consultant will have products available to purchase, which can aid in breastfeeding your baby.
Information you need to make an appointment:
- Baby’s name and date of birth
- Mom’s name and date of birth
- Address and phone numbers
- Any insurance plans (including dad’s, mom’s or baby’s)
- Email address
- Credit card number to hold appointment (if it is a home visit)
Our expectations of you before your appointment:
- Please notify us within 3 hours of the visit if you must cancel your appointment. There may be a fee if not cancelled in time
- We ask that no one smoke when we visit your home
- Indoor pets are to be confined outside of the patient care area for the duration of the visit
- Due to bad weather or other extenuating circumstances, we may need to reschedule. If so, we will inform you ASAP
To make an appointment with a provider, call 816-412-2900 Monday through Saturday from 7:30am until the close of business that day.
North Kansas City
400 NE 32nd Street
Kansas City, MO 64116
9405 N. Oak Trafficway
Kansas City, MO 64155